Saturday, July 20, 2024

Flashback - English - My Grandfather

 My Grandfather


In Delhi,  

The first lathe machine installer,  

Lala Jaydayal, my grandfather,  

Had a factory at Ajmeri Gate.  

Counted among Delhi's elites,  

in 1940, he owned  

A horse carriage and a motor car.  

The family went on outings to India Gate.  

Now, bankrupt,  

Residing in a makeshift attic,  

I fetched cold water  

From the neighborhood well for him.  

His story was full of pain.  

Even now, sometimes,  

He donned his staff and hat,  

Ventured to the market,  

And brought back dates.  

No one called him ‘Sir’ anymore.  

The shops at Hauz Qazi sold off,  

The factory gone,  

Grandfather had forgotten to smile.  

I still wonder  

How a Delhi aristocrat  

Became obscure.  

Now, no one remembers his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment